We do things differently
The other guys (Thumbtack, HomeAdvisor, Houzz, BuildZoom) have financial relationships with the contractors they recommend. We don't.
Our recommendations are driven purely by the data.
- We follow the data. So should you. Our rankings are not influenced by commissions or fees of any kind.
Ratings by permit type
- Shovels is the only contractor directory that rates contractors by the types of permits they've worked on.
Data-driven by inspection data
- Shovels is the only building contractor directory that calculates an inspection pass rate to objectively assess quality.
- Shovels is the only building contractor directory that calculates how long a permit took to complete and uses that data to rate contractors.
API and Data Feed
- We offer our entire contractor directory as an API or data feed. Incorporate it into your own directory. Build on top of it. Make it even better.
Project performance predictions
- Shovels incorporates weather, topography, and census data to find other factors that influence building contractor success.
- There's nothing static about construction data. Shovels constantly refreshes contractor ratings and reviews to remain accurate.
- We have access to permits in over 20,000 jurisdictions, covering 80% of the US population. Coverage is especially strong in major metro areas.